The introduction of the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) in 2005 placed a mandatory obligation on all premises offering public access in England and Wales to provide easy access to all parts of its premises for people with disabilities. This must be done wherever it is reasonably practicable but the Act does recognise that full access is not always reasonably achieveable in older existing buildings.
We have always been committed to making our school as accessible as possible, both to visitors to the school and also to the children who come here, irrespective of their differing needs.
Our school is a single storey post-war building with one change of level between the KS1 & KS2 areas. To make our building accessible we have made the following provisions:-
- The change in level is serviced by a wheelchair lift and staff have received training in it's use.
- We have two marked parking bays for visitors in possession of a blue badge. Access to our car park is via a gate and driveway. If the gate is closed and you need access to our blue badge parking bays, please phone the office on 01242 673814 and a member of staff will come and open the gate for you. The remainder of the parking on site is for staff parking only.
- The main door into the school has an intercom positioned at a suitable height for wheelchair users. Whilst the main double doors themselves are not electrically operated, a member of staff can open them for visitors.
- The reception counter is a suitable height for wheelchair users.
- We have a large disabled access toilet for use by visitors or pupils where necessary.
- We have a medical room for use by visitors or pupils.
- Our internal classroom doors are accessible by wheelchair users. A few of our external classroom doors are not wide enough for all wheelchairs and cannot be altered due to the construction of the school.
- We have a superb SEND (Special Educational Needs & Disability) team who have considerable experience in dealing with children in our school with differing physical needs.
If you are visiting our school and have any specific needs or concerns that have not been addressed here, please phone the School Office on 01242 673814. A member of staff will be happy to help. If you have any feedback for us on accessibility issues we would very much like to hear from you too.
See Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities page for more information and our school accessibility plan.